Applications for Leeds International Summer School 2023 will open later this year. Join our mailing list to be the first to find out when applications open.


To be eligible to apply for our summer school, you must be enrolled at a university, or be a recent graduate. You must be in good academic standing at your home university, with a minimum grade average of 56 (UK system), GPA of 2.8 (US system), GPA of 5.0 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements.

Language Requirements

If the country you study in isn't on the Student visa exceptions list, you'll need to submit evidence that you meet our language requirements.

If you're being taught in English at your home university, you don't need to provide a language certificate. Instead, we'll ask you to provide evidence that you are taught in English. This could be a link to your home university's website or a letter from your home university confirming the language of teaching for your degree programme. 

Minimum qualifications include:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT): 72 (72 overall, listening: 17, reading: 18, writing: 19, speaking: 20)
  • Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC): listening: 400, reading: 385, speaking: 160, writing: 150 (all four components are required)
  • Password Skills: 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
  • LanguageCert International ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) B2 Communicator or LanguageCert International ESOL SELT (Secure English Language Test) B2 Communicator: 33 in speaking, listening, reading and writing
  • Duolingo English Test: 90

If you need to evidence the English language entry requirement but have not taken one of the above qualifications, you can refer to the accepted English Language qualifications for your country or region on the Admissions qualifications page and contact the LISS team for guidance.

Please note, we don't accept College English Tests CET-4 or CET-6.


If you need a visa to enter the UK, you’ll need to apply for a Visitor Visa to attend the summer school. Check if you need a visa. Once you have an offer of a place on LISS, you can use your acceptance letter to apply for your visa.

However, please note that you should always check the immigration requirements for your country and your passport before departing for the UK. Read our visa guidance for more details.

English language courses 

If you don’t meet the above English language requirement for the International Summer School, you may be eligible to study the undergraduate pre-sessional English course taught by the Language Centre. 

This course will help to: 

  • prepare you with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully study with us 
  • improve your academic English language skills  

If you apply for the pre-sessional course, please tell us on your International Summer School application. 

Admissions policies

The University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy outlines the admissions principles of the University of Leeds and the Admissions Policy for Incoming Study Abroad programmes and Leeds International Summer School outlines the variations or additional information for these programmes. 

Related links