Visas for research and study visits

Whether you're looking to visit as a student or to do research, you'll need to know what to do and who to contact.

Before making an immigration application you should confirm details of your visit with the relevant academic department. They'll usually need to provide you with a document for immigration purposes. You should choose the immigration category that best describes the purpose of your visit, taking care to ensure that you meet all of the requirements.

Visits from short-term students who want to undertake taught studies

If you want to visit Leeds for a taught course, you must contact the appropriate office:

Visiting postgraduate researchers

To be eligible you must be studying a research degree elsewhere and will be visiting the University of Leeds to undertake research toward this degree.

There is a visiting postgraduate researcher fee of £1,830 (pro rata) for 12 months.

All non-UK citizens will need a visa for study in the UK. The type of visa you apply for depends on the length of your visit. Check if you need a visa.

Visits to Leeds for periods of study for up to six months

You will require a Standard Visit Visa.

First, you'll need to contact the school in which you wish to study to see if this is possible. You will then need to apply and if accepted, your school will then provide you with a offer letter which you can use for your visa application.

There are two ways to apply for a Standard Visit Visa, depending on your nationality.  If your nationality is on the UK Government’s list of visa national countries you must apply online before you travel. Check if your country is on the list of visa national countries.

If your nationality is not on this list you can choose to apply online before you travel or you can get the correct immigration permission when you arrive at the UK airport, if you do this, you must follow the rules listed below:

If you choose to get the immigration permission when you arrive in the UK, you must follow these rules:

  • If you enter via an e-gate or the Republic of Ireland you will not pass through UK immigration control so you must retain your boarding pass and/or flight details to prove the date you entered.  You will have permission to remain in the UK for six months. 
  • Always carry your University of Leeds offer letter, proof of accommodation booked in Leeds and your most recent bank statements with you in your hand luggage to present to an Immigration Officer, to confirm you can support yourself financially throughout your course and pay for a flight home, and to provide evidence for the purpose of your stay.
  • Confirm that you are coming to the UK to study/research if you are asked what the reason for your visit is.
  • Arrive in the UK near to the course start date as you are entering as a visitor for up to six months.

This visa status entitles the holder to remain in the UK for a period of up to six months and cannot be extended. No paid or unpaid work is permitted with this visa.

You can then register online as a miscellaneous research non-degree (non-award bearing) student via the normal online registration route and obtain a student ID card.

Visits to Leeds for periods of time of more than six months

You'll require a Student visa, if the visit will last for more than six months. Please note: Home Office regulations require the University to monitor the attendance of all Student visa holders. Extended, unauthorised absence must be reported to UK Visas and Immigration.

First you'll need to contact the school in which you wish to study to see if this is possible. You will then need to apply and if accepted, the University will send you an offer letter with further information about the Student visa.