International funding

Learn more about course fees and funding, managing finances and paying for your accommodation.

Course fees and funding

Course fees and possible funding will depend on your level of study; undergraduate, Masters or postgraduate research. Learn more by following the appropriate link in the following list:

Money for when you arrive

  • It may take two to three weeks to open a UK bank account and transfer your money once you arrive in the UK. 
  • Under the current circumstances we recommend you only bring a very small amount of cash for when you arrive in the UK. If you do enter the UK carrying more than €10,000 (or equivalent amount in another currency including cash, travellers cheques and bank cheques) you must complete a cash declaration form at the airport. 
  • Most shops and online food deliveries now require payment by credit or debit card and won’t accept cash.
  • The University will not be accepting payments by cash. 
  • We recommend you bring a pre-arranged bank card (eg Visa or Mastercard) that supports contactless payments, which you can use in the UK to make card or online payments. This card should include enough funds to cover your first few weeks.  
  • We recommend you to speak to your local bank before you travel to the UK to see if they can offer services that meet your needs. There are also some organisations that provide digital services that enable you to transfer and receive money and make online payments in the UK before you open a UK bank account. Some examples are Revolut and Monese. Please note the University is unable to recommend or endorse these companies or their services. You must make your own decision whether to use them.

Accommodation and paying the University

The biggest cost that you will have to meet while you are at university is likely to be your accommodation. Find out more about accommodation costs and other costs of living in Leeds.

You can also find out more about how to pay your University tuition, re-sit and accommodation fees online by card or bank transfer.

Transferring money to the UK

  • Travellers cheques: you can bring travellers cheques from home and exchange them for cash at any UK Post Office or Bureau de Change for a small fee or pay them into a UK bank account.
  • Telegraphic bank to bank transfer: when you open a UK bank account you will be given an international bank account number (IBAN). You need to give this to your home bank. A transfer normally takes four working days.
  • Credit/debit card from your home country: you may be able to withdraw funds using your home debit or credit card if you have a four digit pin number, however you may be charged.
  • Personal cheque from your home bank account: it can take up to six weeks for this to clear in a UK bank account.