Exams and transcripts

Whilst you are studying at the University of Leeds you will need to follow the exam policies and procedures as set out by the Exams Office and your teaching school/s. This includes what to do if something has affected your studies or you need to take a resit.

If you are a Semester 1 only student and the examinations in January will clash with teaching at your home institution, you can apply to take your University of Leeds exams at your home institution.

Receiving your transcript

Your official University of Leeds transcript will be emailed to your personal email address as well as to your home university and an official paper copy will be sent to your permanent home address.

Official transcripts containing undergraduate module marks are usually shared with you by the end of July each year. This is because the January exam results remain provisional until external exam board meetings in late June.

The paper copy of your transcript will be posted to your permanent home address as it is listed in our computer systems so please ensure this is accurate on Minerva by mid-June.

If you no longer have access to Minerva you can email the Study Abroad Team with your updated address details on studyabroad@leeds.ac.uk

It is your responsibility to ensure you pass on your transcript to your home university so that they can assess your study abroad period and transfer credit if necessary. If you are an EPMA student or have applied through API or IFSA-Butler, your transcript will be posted to your agent, who will arrange for your academic record to be sent to your home institution.


Your results

Full-year students

You will be able to view your January exam results on Minerva. Provisional semester 1 marks should be available by the end of week 4 of teaching in semester 2. If your home institution wishes to see your exam results at the end of semester 1, you should send them a print-out of the information on Minerva.

Semester 1 students

Even if you leave Leeds in January, we cannot produce your official transcript until the end of July. This is because the January exam results remain provisional until external exam board meetings in late June.

The study abroad office will produce a provisional transcript for all students who are studying at Leeds for semester 1 only. This will be emailed in March to your personal email address as it is listed in the University’s computer system. It is your responsibility to pass on your provisional transcript to your home university.

Students taking postgraduate modules

Results for postgraduate modules (coded 5xxxM) are not usually made official until the November following the end of your stay in Leeds. This is because our taught postgraduate degrees end in October, and external exam boards usually only meet later in the year.

If you have taken a mixture of undergraduate and postgraduate modules, you will receive a transcript in July, but the postgraduate results will still be provisional. If your grades change, you will then automatically receive another transcript in November, which will show all your official results.

Additional copies of your transcript

You can order extra copies of your study abroad transcript from student services. The University of Leeds transcripts office can be contacted by phone on +44 (0) 113-343-8877 or by emailing transcripts@adm.leeds.ac.uk.

Understanding your transcript

Find out more about the University of Leeds marking scale for transcripts.

You may also find useful information on US-UK grade conversions on the Fulbright Commission website. Please bear in mind that the transfer of credit ultimately rests with your home institution.